Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 02:43 AM

Platelet refactoriness

Hi ppl,

I wanted to know that after how many transfusion does the platelet becomes refactory, i mean there is no response even after transfusion of platelet ?

My father is severely platelet defficient, he requires arnd 1 unit asperisis ( from cell seprator nachine from a donor) in a week. Are there ppl who are this dependent on platelets here ?

Kind regards,

Neel
Father age 64 diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2, with 15%-18% blasts in October 2010. Only had blood and platelet transfusions. Ayurvedic treatment which showed result for arnd 5 months. Started Tahlidomide 100 mg started on 22 nd April 2011. Revolade 50 mg started on 2 nd april 2012.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 07:39 AM

John was dependent on platelets for 22 months. Some transfusions worked better than others in that he would really good bumps from some and none from others. Some get refractory after just a few so you really cannot predict when or if it will happen. Even when he got a good response from them, they still didn't last very long. Your own platelets last only about 10 days so the ones you get transfused have a reduced lifespan.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:46 AM
Owner

Here's are some forum threads with additional information:
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:44 AM

my Dad went platelet dependent really fast. started out 1 unit per week and ended up 4 per week. ultimately they ended up not working at all for him.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:22 PM

My mom is platelet transfusion dependent and she was diagnosed only 4 weeks ago. The other day she got 5 units of platelets and her platelets went from 21 to 15. Yes, you read that right. They are starting her on HLA platelets which I believe are crossmatched and they are supposed to be better and they are the next step once a patient becomes refractory. I don't know to much about it all but I hope your dad gets better. I feel so helpless sometimes...I just want to make my mom all better. I wish you and your dad well.