Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Thu Nov 1, 2012, 02:11 PM

IP6

Does IP6 work to chelate iron?
Old Fri Nov 2, 2012, 08:32 AM

There's really not a good natural iron chelator that can handle the volume needed to chelate those getting transfusions. Your body hangs on to iron very well. Small amounts are lost through sweating and all antioxidant have some level of chelation ability but not very effective in iron overload cases.

Some have had success with wheat grass but IMO, it's not very promising as first line therapy for chelation. John tried it for about a year but had no benefit from it.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sat Nov 3, 2012, 01:23 PM

IP6

I have been taking IP6 and wheatgrass. Have had 6 transfusions and my ferritin is 357. Over the last 8 months it has gone up 63 points having had 2 transfusions in this time, no idea whether this is good or bad?
Old Mon Nov 5, 2012, 01:39 AM

Based on my husband's experience, I would say you are doing well.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Tue Nov 6, 2012, 08:31 PM

Hi there, as my husband go more and more transfusions we were told the iron was going to be a problem - Greg - a member here told me about wheatgrass, hubby started taking it a couple of months ago and thankfully iron has not been an issue. We have read some on wheatgrass but of course not being a doctor I can only say it seems to be working for us. Our doctor also didn't have a problem with him taking it as long as he didn't take more then recommended. Maybe you could ask your doctor about it and get some feedback?
Old Tue Nov 6, 2012, 09:42 PM

Yes, we did try it, both capsules and growing our own. Unfortunately, he didn't respond to it as we'd hoped. I'm really glad you're doing so well.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.