Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 08:18 AM

Started on Exjade today

At my visit to my haematologist on Tuesday he wanted me to go on Exjade. My ferritin level isn't that high but he has started me on a low dosage until I see him again.
I've been taking powdered wheat grass daily ever since my first transfusion so hope this will help a little as well. I've been reading about milk thistle on this forum. I'm taking a supplement called Product B from Isagenix and milk thistle is the main ingredient.

Fortunately here Exjade is on the PBS so most of the cost is covered.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 04:35 AM

Exjade

Hi Glenda,
Hope you will have a positive effect when you take Exjade and that your kidneys will tolerate the drug! Good that you started with a low dose. I could only take 500 mg/day though I should have been on 1250 mg according to my weigh because my WBC decreased.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 05:31 PM

Exjade side effects...

I've been taking Exjade for about four years and I have to keep a close eye on Creatinine levels because one of its side effects is to push up beyond my "normal" level. When that happens, I stop for about three weeks and confirm the Creatinine level has come down. My doc and I came to an agreement that keeping the serum ferritin around 1000ug/L works OK for me.
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).