Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Mar 6, 2014, 10:28 PM

Dental work before transplant?

I am starting my 4th cycle of Vidaza and will be going to transplant as soon as an adequate donor is found. I am guessing that I'm still two months away from transplant. I had a routine dental checkup today and we decided that I might need a root canal. I thought the sooner the better, but I'm not sure whether or not my Dr. will allow the procedure. I have a call into her and will probably find out tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with what might be allowed at this time?
Old Thu Mar 6, 2014, 11:08 PM

My husband needed A LOT of dental work before transplant. We had his blood checked and the transplant team cleared him to go ahead and have the work done. I know that a couple months prior if your able they like for dental work and or dental cleaning to be done (no need for any infections, decay to be lingering when having your immune system depleted during transplant conditioning)
I will say we actually used a dentist the transplant team reccomended insted of our (more my) dentist bc we felt more comfortable going to someone who regularly saw pts w low platelet, WBC, and/or low RBCs
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Now no PNH or AA. Mixed Chimerisim
Old Sun Mar 9, 2014, 07:26 PM

Bailie,

I had to have several teeth pulled including impacted wisdom teeth just 2 1/2 weeks prior to transplant, and in fact would not have been cleared for transplant by the insurance company nor the transplant team with even a tooth that needed a root canal. there is too much risk of infection and gvhd of the mouth according to my team. They usually want to give you some antibiotics for the day of the work, and may put you on additional antibiotics prophylactically until transplant.

I have not had any problems thus far and am at day +11.

Thanks.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Sun Mar 9, 2014, 08:37 PM

Thank you Heather and Dan,

My Dr. cleared me for the root canal. Tooth doesn't bother me but I thought about you Dan and it prompted me to get this fixed early. My platelets are high enough and the neutrophils are close to ok. I will have to have it done the day before my next BMB. Never thought I would have a BMB and a root canal on back to back days. Oh well, such is life.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 10:51 AM

Root canal followed by BMB is a tough couple of days, but misery loves company, so you might as well knock them out. Good luck on both.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM

No transplant in our future here. But next week three medical procedures including one tooth to be pulled. It may be a bit much but for other reasons we have to go this route. Dental office is working with us on all this. Antibiotics for now till pulling happens. The week after to recover from it all and then some time for fun. Fun is important too. Good luck with your dental work, Bailie.