Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 06:09 AM

Revolade

I have been advised to give revolade 50mg to my father to help his platelets . I have read in some forums/postings that revolade can cause increase in blasts /lukemia. Question is to give revolade or not ? kindly advise

Regards

Neel
Father age 64 diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2, with 15%-18% blasts in October 2010. Only had blood and platelet transfusions. Ayurvedic treatment which showed result for arnd 5 months. Started Tahlidomide 100 mg started on 22 nd April 2011. Revolade 50 mg started on 2 nd april 2012.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 09:34 AM

Hi Neel,
My husband started Promacta in March, 2011 and it has made him transfusion independent for the first time since 1/09 for platelet and red cell transfusions. He hasn't needed but one red cell transfusion in almost a year. His platelet count this week was 69,000 which for him is really an improvement as his lowest count got down to 4,000 at one point. His blasts have not increased since starting Promacta.
If you are interested in more information I have gone into great detail under the "Clinical Trials" forum. You also can search my posts as I have spoken about it in response to other people's inquiries.
I can attest for his success with Promacta and that he is tolerating it very well so I highly recommend Promacta.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via e-mail at shcalvert3@aol.com.
Please keep us posted on how he's doing if he decides to take the drug,
Best wishes,
Sally
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 03:35 PM

Revolade

Hi Neel,
You know still no study about Revolade in MDS patients have been published - I have been waiting for years and we don't know if the drug can increase blast cells.

We know that Revolade can increase bone marrow fibrosis in patients with a blood disease called Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura.

Another drug for low platelets called Nplate can increase blast cells and fibrosis in some MDS patients.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 01:18 AM

thanx sally and brig, we have not started the revolade yet. Will be monitoring the blood count for a fortnight to month before starting revolade. will be posting the experience with this drug if and when started.

Regards,

Neel
Father age 64 diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2, with 15%-18% blasts in October 2010. Only had blood and platelet transfusions. Ayurvedic treatment which showed result for arnd 5 months. Started Tahlidomide 100 mg started on 22 nd April 2011. Revolade 50 mg started on 2 nd april 2012.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 05:28 AM

Fever

Hi Neel,
When we have low platelets we should avoid all pain killers because they can decrease platelets - I have written this many times before.

Google the drugs your father is receiving for fever and their adverse effects - many of them are pain killers and will perhaps give him lower platelets.

When his doctor prescribes antibiotics your father should of cause take that kind of drugs.

Hope your fathers counts will improve!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A