Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 06:12 PM

Unhappy My father keeps coughing and lots of blood in mucus due to very low platete- please h

My father keeps coughing and lots of blood in mucus due to very low platete.The blood in the mucus has both dark red and bright red parts.Can I give him Mucinex DM to help with coughing? I never used Mucinex DM before, it is OCT, I searched it online, it seems very effective. Mucinex DM is good for both chest congestion and dry cough. I bought both normal version and maxium strength. I feel he is so fragile now, can he use mucinex? It is not sold in my country.
If you would like to help, please also refer the previous thread in order to get a whole picture, thank you!!! http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3162
My father's situation is deterioting rapidly since he was admitted into hospital last Wed. Sep.19. The hospital did overall examination and couldn't come to conlusion about his fever and couging, first they suspected him to have pneumonia then lung cancer, finally, they told my parents that they can't handle this situation after all these examinations and asked him to look for another hospital. They did blood matching test and before my father was released they asked if my father would like to have blood transfusion, he said yes then they say oh, we run out of blood. My father was admitted to another hospital and was told he lacked oxygen severely. Before he was admitted into hospital last wed. He only had blood tinted mucus once in a while. but now, it is lots of blood. He couldn't eat, he had difficult to breath. I don't know how to help my dear father from suffering all these. His life is so fragile like waking on the string. I can't believe, I did video talk with him a few days ago he looke find he even ran around, how come things would change all of sudden! I am flying back to my country tomorrow. I have brought Vitamin K-2 and Vitamin D-3, I read a couple of posts online and some people shared their experience. I read the research, it is said 30% patients would be respond to this treatment . All I can do now is to pray. I feel so helpless. I can't help my dear father when he is in such an urgent need.
Anyone who experienced the similar symptoms such as blood coughing accompanying with long time fever,no apetite etc. please please share with me . He didn't have much symptoms of MDS before this. I desperately want my father to get better, at least stop coughing, I assume the bleeding will stop if cough stops. Thank you.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
Owner

estelle,

Unless the doctor already told you to expect this symptom, I wouldn't take any chances in this situation. I'd get your father to Urgent Care or at least get in touch with the doctor's on-call phone service and get expert advice or a same-day appointment.

Your description of his hospital experience made me cringe. Having to change hospitals is a major burden and risk for someone in such compromised health. I hope you know which hospital to use from now on. You might ask if they can assign him a case manager who will make sure that his health care is properly coordinated among departments.