Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 10:39 PM

Question New here - Aplastic Anemia questions.

Hi, while I am fortunate enough not to suffer from Aplastic Anemia, my best friend does.

Allow me to tell you about him. He is 23 years old. He is in good health besides the Aplastic Anemia. His parents have already passed on. He has a couple aunts and a older (40 something year old) step-brother.

He was diagnosed in 2012. He spent a month or so in the hospital as they were able to bring his blood count levels to an acceptable level. He was released from the hospital and stayed at his grandmother's house for a few months. Slowly but surely, he was able to get his medications reduced and was able to resume a somewhat normal life.

He had been off the meds for a few months, when he went back to the hospital for a routine check, and they discovered his blood count levels had dropped. They prescribed him medicines and currently his blood count levels are going up very slowly. They decreased his meds alittle recently.

The Doctor wants to have a meeting with him in July. I don't know all of the details, but I am somewhat nervous.

Does it sound like he will have to go through with the Bone Marrow transplant? Currently his levels are in the safe zone, and are rising very slowly. Normally do the Doctors still do a transplant if the blood count numbers are in the "ok zone" and meds are not being increased or decreased?

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:45 AM

Hi David,

Since your friend is young, I am guessing that your doctor may just want to start the transplant discussion. It is good to understand his options should things change in the future. No need to panic
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 10:27 PM

So basically as long as his blood count numbers are in the safe zone and his current meds are doing the job, does anyone think the Doctors would recommend a transplant?

Are there people with Aplastic Anemia who never do a transplant and just take medicines to maintain blood count numbers for the rest of their life?

I know his Doctors have already registered him at beamatch.com. I think his Docotr does this with all of his patients that suffer from Aplastic Anemia.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2014, 01:36 AM

Hey Lightsped,

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm actually just around the same age as him-22. Do you know what treatment your friend underwent and what medications he is currently on?

I think as long as his counts are in the safe zone, theres no reason to move forth with a bone marrow transplant. My doctor told me my counts may never return back to my normal counts pre-diagnosis, but as long as they are at a comfortable level at which transfusions are no longer needed, then a bone marrow transplant isn't needed.

I also don't think he'll need to be on medication for the rest of his life, many people are on cyclosporine and are on a slow taper of this- perhaps over a few years- but eventually he should be able to get off medications and hopeful go back to resuming his normal life
Old Wed Jun 25, 2014, 01:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
Are there people with Aplastic Anemia who never do a transplant and just take medicines to maintain blood count numbers for the rest of their life?
Every patient is different, some requiring frequent treatment, others occasional treatment, and some none at all.

You might find it instructive to read Andrea Pecor's profile.
Old Sat Jul 5, 2014, 03:44 AM

The main medicine that he is currently taking is Prograf. He takes this twice a day.

So far numbers are still in the "safe zone" and are getting better very slowly. He still has the appointment with the Doctor on July 17th to determine what will be recommended for the future.

I am nervous....