Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Pediatrics
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pediatrics Treatment for juvenile patients

Old Thu Jun 4, 2015, 09:17 PM

Bone Marrow biopsy results....looking for insight

My 15 year old son just had his 4th biopsy within the year and a half. His cellularity was 35% and his last result was 20-50%. Does this mean it has decreased? We don't see the doctor to discuss results for 2 weeks.
Old Fri Jun 5, 2015, 01:12 AM

Hi lizab,

The cellularity of bone marrow can be patchy, meaning high in some places and low in others. Also, the reading of the cellularity is a little subjective, meaning that two different doctors looking at the same specimen may not give the exact same response, although they should be in the same ballpark.

Given your son's age, his marrow is still hypocellular. I don't think you can interpret more than that since they gave a range last time.
Old Fri Jun 5, 2015, 06:27 AM

Thank you for your response. We have gotten ranges in the.past as well. 30-60%. So for they are saying it is not malignancy, MDS, or AA related. His peripheral blood lines are mildly low wbc 3.6, hemoglobin 11.4, normal platelets. We have been testing for close to two years now with no answers to why his bone marrow is supressed. He is physically stable just tires easy. I am debating taking him for a second opinion?? Or I wondering if this is normal to "watch and wait" until something happens. His family history is father with ALL and brother with cutaneous The T cell non-hodgkins lymphoma.