Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > General Health Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Health Issues Diet and appetite, sleep and fatigue, pain management, exercise, etc.

Old Mon May 28, 2012, 09:47 PM

how and what to eat with GI GVHD

Hi all,
I am 120 days post transplant and dealing with low counts (neutropenic too)following CMV. My digestive tract including esophogus to colon has some GVHD. I am finding fewer and fewer foods to eat and smaller amounts. I sometimes have an appetite but worry about the follow up discomfort. I take Maalox, and pantoprazole. Any suggestions what to try as I am losing weight and sure I am not getting proper nutrition eating mostly ginger snaps!

thanks,

Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 11:11 PM
Owner

Donna,

My wife had GVHD of the digestive system and she mostly learned what foods to avoid by trial and error. She still has to be careful.

But I suggest that you start with an expert, by consulting the nutritionists at the hospital. Each patient is different, but for the most part they've seen it all. They can probably give you tips that will help right away.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 01:11 PM

thanks Neil, will try that.
Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2016, 09:40 PM

Smoothies!

We had a lot of luck making smoothies containing different ingredients. I was caregiver/spouse to my husband who had a transplant almost 2 years ago. Following his transplant he had trouble eating as well. Put things into a smoothie! We added all sorts of things (flax seed, oatmeal, tofu, anything to get some protein/substance in him) along with lots of fruits and veggies and yogurt (approve yogurt with your doc before adding it). Good luck!