Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Wed May 16, 2018, 08:12 AM

Confused mum of 12 year old boy.

Hi, I hope someone can help and put my mind at rest or help me try and understand the route my sons consultant is taking.
My son has been diagnosed with chronic ITP his platelets are around 40 at the moment and have been for about 18 months now. Recently he has had a continuous month or so of sore throats, tonsillitis and generally feeling run down. He’s missed a lot of school. He’s consultant did a bone marrow biopsy and he confirmed chronic ITP but also found he had only 30% cellularity.
Now because my sons red and white cell count have always been in range he has suggested he continues to monitor him and re test his bone marrow in 6 months time, so watch and wait. When I asked what for he said my son may be showing signs of AA.
Has anyone heard of this type of cellularity at this age and only platelets being effected?
Worried and confused any help would be good
Old Wed May 16, 2018, 11:40 AM

Platelets have the shortest lifespan so it is possible for those to be low and the other cells to be in normal range. My husband had a platelet count of 2000 when he was first admitted to the hospital, yet his other counts were fine. They later started to dip.
Old Wed May 16, 2018, 01:00 PM

Hi Samantha, thank you for your reply. Can I ask what kind of time span it took for the red and white cells to deteriorate and was your husband diagnosed with AA while only his platelets being low or do they have to wait for all 3 to dip.
Old Wed May 16, 2018, 09:06 PM

He had very severe aplastic anemia and all of his symptoms happened pretty quickly. I would say his other counts started to drop within a month, but again, it was a very severe case. He had a non related bone marrow transplant within 2 months of diagnosis (pretty much unheard of). I’ve heard of others being in the watch and wait period for much longer.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 03:55 PM

in our daughter, the platelets were the fist to go. They removed spleen thinking that was the problem, but, then red and white began to go down. Final diagnosis after 2 bone marrow biopsy was AA. We are thinking that AA was just starting to begin, as they couldn't find a reason...