Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 11:55 AM

Update on BMT of 14th Feb 2007

It's been a while since I last reported on my BMT of 14th of Feb this year. I went home 2 weeks after my BMT and it all went well for almost two weeks. Then I started with some problems. I have had some minor set-backs. Serious mouth ulcers,a throat infection and skin problems due to the heavy chemo treatments prior to the BMT. I have also developed the CMV Virus in my blood. It is being treated intravenously with antibiotics, hence me being back in hospital. The first lot of antibiotics caused migraines, severe nausea, which in turn caused sudden weight loss. ( I ended up weighing 47 kilogrammes). But it is all under control again. Hopefully I will be going home again tomorrow... My blood levels are looking very good. My HB is around 7 and my platelets have stabelized around 180 000. I am due for a bone marrow biopsy on Monday so will then know for sure whether the new bone marrow is doing it's work or not... I am very positive as always and know that I wll be cured in good time. I feel very strong and despite the set backs, I feel much stronger than before the BMT.
I am now off all drugs, except the antibiotic for the virus. No more prednison!!!
This was the best thing that ever happened to me. I had a very easy "ride" throughout my BMT and the worst experience of it all was the side effects from the chemo therapy. Those will also go away with time. This was certainly a far easier ordeal than the ATG treatment I went through in January last year. What a nice surprise, as the doctors told me that the BMT would be harder than the ATG treatment.
I pray that this is a good sign as to what is still in store for me. Thanks again to all you wonderful people out there with whom I can share this. As I have said before, being able to share one's experience with people who are in the same boat, makes it a lot easier to deal with...
Take care.
Nina
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Dear Nina,

What an unfortunate time you've had after such a great beginning! But, as I'm sure you know, such is the life of a transplant patient--especially at the beginning. The mouth ulcers you describe sound like the kind you get before your new marrow starts working, but your counts were already climbing. Do the doctors say why these symptoms cropped up now? The rash in particular sounds like either part of your reaction to the antibiotics or some GVHD.

I am certainly hoping and hoping it's all behind you soon.

Best regards,
Ruth
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Nina has lost her battle

Dear Friends,

I very sorry to share the news that our friend, Nina, passed away on May 24. Her husband and daughters were with her at the end and shared in the decision to end her suffering.

Nina was transplanted for MDS on February 14, 2007 and after only a week had the most remarkable counts I have ever seen. A month later she got an infection and had a bad reaction to antibiotics. She was then diagnosed with CMV and had to go back in the hospital. The Foscarnet treatment caused her counts to crash and infections overwhelmed her body.

Through it all, Nina kept her sense of humor, her grace, and her confidence that her problems would be overcome. I got a message from her husband yesterday saying that Nina found great inspiration from Marrowforums and it makes me happy to know that we were able to help her.

Sincerely,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 12:08 PM

I am sorry to hear that Nina has lost her battle. She and her family will be in my prayers.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 03:59 PM

I am sorry for Nina and her family too. I will pray for them.

Helene