Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Tue Jan 2, 2018, 06:41 PM

Bone marrow transplantation (currently 1month and 3 day)

Hello, 1st april 2017 I was diagnosted with AML (acute myeloid leukemia) M6. From 1st april I started with 4 cycles chemotherapy to july, everything was very nice but only one problem through all chemotherapy was a blood poisoning sepsis I ate anything bad probably. 16th August 2017 I came to the Hospital and I waited for a transplantation. 31th august 2017 was a day 0, I get my new Germany bone marrow, I was puking and I just felt corn. After 1 and half month maybe 2 months I get home. After 5 days at home I did go to to hospital. I had an infection called infectious mononucleosis or EBV virus. I spent 1 month in hospital that was a big chance I will die but I am not. THANK GOD IM STILL ALIVE and donor Now its 123 day after bone marrow transplantation and probably I am good, last visit of ambulancy was 27th December, 2017

platelets - 100
neutrophils - 1000
leukocytes - 3600
hemoglobin - 130

I forgot to say I am 18 years old 2 days after transplantation I was 18 years old. I feel so good and free now, big thanks to all doctors, my mum and of course donor for bone marrow, it saved my life, a due to leukemia I began respect my life and all people around me. Sorry for my english, I am from middle europe, I was just randomly browsing a internet and I found this forum. If is my english too bad just write down bellow I will write it again if it will needed.

+ I wanted to ask if anybody here has a experience with smoking marijuana, before leukemia I was only smoking marijuana but not drinking alcohol. What do you think? Is it good (marijuana) or not.
Old Wed Jan 3, 2018, 11:45 AM
Owner

Denis,

Congratulations on your successful bone marrow transplant. It's too bad that you had such a a rough time getting through it. The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is fairly common, but dangerous when your immune system is suppressed. Sepsis is always dangerous.

Many people make return visits to the hospital while recovering from a transplant, and that can be very discouraging, but you got through it. Your age helped. A much older person might not have survived those complications.

You have made it to Day 100, and to the year 2018, so I hope your recovery goes really well from now on.

Your English is fine, and a lot better than my Slovak!

Marijuana has helped people with nausea during chemo, and with chronic pain. The effects of marijuana and alcohol after a transplant depend in part on whether you are still immunosuppressed and how far along your recovery has progressed. ProCon.org has some articles about medical aspects of marijuana. A recent article reports that it's still too soon to tell if cannabis is good or bad for people with a weakened immune system. I'd avoid smoking marijuana if you have any respiratory problems or if you develop any respiratory problems.

I just read that alcohol can harm recovering bone marrow, and can harm the liver too. I'd get an OK from the doctor before drinking alcohol.
Old Sun Jan 7, 2018, 03:45 AM

Hi! I also had acute myeloid leukemia. Great that you are on the road to recovery. Maybe ask your doctors about marijuana.. The least drugs the better in my opinion (including over the counter)
Good luck!
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!