Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sat Aug 6, 2011, 04:36 AM

Danazol side effect

Hi All,

My daughter prescribed Danazol 50mg 2 times a day. but she face side effect like reduce platelet count. She is suffering from AA and we transfuse platelet count every 7 days, but from when she start taking danazol every 3 days she need platelet.

we ask doctor but they are not ready to believe that due to Danazol platelet count decrease?

can anyone experience like this?

Regards,
Vinod father of Kavya , AA, ATG on Dec-2010, still not response, 0.5 ml CsA , Femal
Old Sat Aug 6, 2011, 10:56 AM
Owner

Kavya,

I'm sorry that your daughter hasn't yet responded to ATG.

Low platelets is not an established side effects of Danazol.

There have been individual reports of decreased platelets by people taking Danazol but it's never been found that Danazol was the cause. There have also been individual reports of increased platelets.

I think that means that the answer to your question is that it's unlikely but possible.

You didn't say why your daughter is taking Danazol, i.e., for angioedema or another condition. Depending on the reason, her doctors could consider other medicine that treats the same condition. Each medicine has its own benefits, risks, and possible side effects.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 07:03 AM

Hi Neil Cuadra,

Thanks. sorry for late reply.

she is prescribed for danazol for same Aplastic Anemia. Doctor prescribed cyclosprine, danazol and folic acid.

so danazol not used in AA? can danazol help in increase the chances of response after ATG? In US doctor not use danazol? Please guide me.

Regards,
Vinod
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 08:47 AM

Danazol has been used by others on this forum. It's helped some but not others.

If you do a search on this site for danazol, it will bring up the post that discuss it. Here's one where it helped the reitc/red cells but did adversely affect the platelets. It could be the dose is too high.

http://forums.marrowforums.org/showt...hlight=danazol
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks Marlene,

yes, my daughter have same, when she start danazol, platelets transfusion become more.

so we had stopped it. She does not take it longer time, so cannot judje, it help in rectic\red cell or not.

currently we are giving just cyclosporine and folic acid.

Thanks again.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2022, 03:42 PM

From the research I've done, I can say that Danazol does wonders for some people with aplastic anemia and pure red cell aplasia. In fact, responders sometimes have "complete" responses. And roughly 40% of responders never relapse, while others will have need to be on and off the drug for the rest of their lives.

I did read where taking too high of a dose can be problematic. I think 300-400 mg/day is about right for most people with AA and PRCA. It also takes about 3-9 months for to achieve an initial response, although there have been studies done showing that it can take 1 year or more. Interestingly, a few responses occurred at almost 2 years in people AA with very short telomeres. I could be wrong, but it's generally older people who would have short telomeres.

But, of course, Danazol doesn't work for everyone: it seems to work best in those with short telomeres, as said above (accelerated aging genetics affecting bone marrow, lungs liver, etc.), or those who are female who haven't responded to IST therapy (it has worked very well on males but not nearly as often). I'm just repeating what I've read in studies.

My mother's doctor is against all treatment like Danazol except the standard h-ATG/cyclosporine/Promacta. When that doesn't work, it's all Campath - or nothing. Rabbit ATG was not advised for my mother because of a high chance of bone marrow cytogenetic changes, along with the fact that Rabbit-ATG is not likely to work.

It is very uncommon, but ATG can take two years to kick in. In fact, Dr. Young included 2 years for his end-mark for response times because it does happen rarely. There was a former member on here who believed she had responded to ATG two years later. Or, the disease may have "burnt out", which is not a nonsensical idea. Some doctors are of the opinion that AA can burn out in a person who continues to have it for years without incident.

AA is not an autoimmune disease like lupus and MS -- it has a unique pathology. With other autoimmune diseases, you don't hear of immune-mediated burnout, but you do with AA. Again, the disease is highly mysterious, leaving you putting your hands up in the air like a madman.

Lastly, every one is different with this disease. Some can go 30-40 years without a problem, while others relapse frequently. Some take a a few years to find the right treatment (after a few failed ones) and then do rather well afterwards. Who knows?

Last edited by Matthew42 : Sun Dec 18, 2022 at 04:04 PM.