Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 06:06 PM

Smile Flu vaccination, Yes or No?

My doctor advised me recently to have a flu shot, yet when I asked my trusted pharmacist he said "no" (as per labeled on the cyclosporin medication instructions). I did take the vaccination, but am interested in anyone's thoughts or experiences on this subject. Thanks so much, Maureen K.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 08:57 PM

I get one every year. Just make sure it is the inoculation and not the nasal spray.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
Owner

triumphe64 is right about avoiding the nasal spray since that's the live (although weakened) virus - not a good idea for someone who is immunosuppressed and therefore more at risk than an average adult. The version given by inoculation has the inactivated virus so there's no flu risk, although anyone with egg allergies should skip the flu shot.

However, people who are immunosuppressed have another consideration: Even though they are more susceptible to the flu, the shot may not protect them. Vaccines rely on the lymphocytes in your immune system to form antibodies to the antigens in the vaccine. If your immune system is too weak for the task, the vaccine won't do you any good and won't protect you from the flu. That's a reason that hematologists may advise against a flu shot.

That makes it a judgement call based on the state of your immune system and any other risk factors, which means it's not surprising that a doctor and a pharmacist might disagree. Maureen: If your doctor knows all the details of your situation and the pharmacist was just reading contraindications on drug labels then I'd give the edge to your doctor's advice, but I think it would be sensible to double-check with the doctor and let him/her know of the pharmacist's caution. Once the doctor explains the recommendation (or changes his/her mind) then you'll know what to do.
Old Mon Dec 6, 2010, 02:10 PM

Thumbs down

My son got his flu shot on the recommendation of the hematology nurse practitioner. At 1:00 am the night after the shot (12 hours post-innoculation) he became very ill. High fever, vomiting. He went back to the clinic in the morning and luckily wasn't admitted since his neutrophils spiked and the ANC was 1000 (it hasn't been that high since). I totally believe he had a reaction to the shot. It was not a fun time, that 's for sure. :