Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 06:27 AM

Bloody noses - more common in winter?

Or a sign of low platelets? Typically they're around 90,000, but have been a lot lower previously. I just never know when I'm being a hypochondriac or not. Thank you!
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:27 AM

I often wonder about that myself. One of my symptoms upon diagnosis was an incessantly bloody nose. My platelets were then around 10,000.

That being said, at my labs last week my platelets were 178,000, and I have had a slightly bloody nose for much of the winter. So has my friend who has no blood disease whatsoever. So a bloody nose in winter is common with normal platelets. My doctor told me some people have more blood vessels in the nose that make it prone to bleeding, especially in winter. I also bleed slightly when I floss my teeth, and he said that is for the same reason.

My thought would be whether it is bleeding significantly or just slightly. Either way, I wouldn't worry about being a hypochondriac, this challenging disease is enough to turn anyone into a hypochondriac. I'd call your doctor.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:28 AM

nosebleeds in winter

Hello Edith,
Yes, nosebleeds are definitely more common in the winter time even in people without low platelets. That is because in the winter the humidity is usually lower especially in heated houses which dry out the air. The mucous membranes in the nose get dried out and the surface blood vessels can bleed more easily. Of course it could also be a sign that Eric's platelets have dropped so it would not be a bad idea to get them checked if it has been awhile. I have very low platelets and I always notice an increase in bloody discharge when I blow my nose at night in the wintertime when this does not happen in the summer when the humidity is high and I have the same platelet count. Sometimes humidifiers work but I prefer not to use them because they can grow organisms. Good luck to you and Eric
Old Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:54 AM

Hard to say. My husband was just dx 10/31/12, the heat has been running and his platelets are low. When we told his Dr. About him having nosebleeds his Dr ordered a transfusion. He needed one anyway w/ or w/o nosebleed bc his hgb at that point were droping and at 5. W platelets 14. So could have been a combination heat/platelets. I do know not to long after I finally broke down and bought a humidifier (in Houston!) bc the heater was drying us out.
I think w anything when in doubt inform your nurse/Dr. At least then you have peace of mind.
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Now no PNH or AA. Mixed Chimerisim
Old Mon Feb 4, 2013, 01:44 PM

From my son's experience, yes, but then, I live in Canada. He was initially diagnosed with Mod AA from a nosebleed that wouldn't stop after 1+hr. and his platelets were 44 then; they have since rose to 105, but he still suffers from them frequently. They're not as long lasting now and thus, less debilitating, but a nuisance nonetheless and everytime, his platelets have been stable. As a possible suggestion, his doctors told him to swab Vaseline in his nostrils at bedtime which since he has been doing that, we haven't had much issue with nosebleeds, although if he gets sick with a cough or cold, then he's fairgame. We also have a humidifier and air purifier in his room, specifically.
Old Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:53 PM

Hi Edith,

We've found that using an over-the-counter saline spray (like Ocean Mist) a couple of times a day is helpful in preventing a bloody nose.
Old Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:35 PM

Thank you for your responses. I used to have a humidifier (or was it a vaporizor) when the kids were little but can't find it now, so I'm assuming I gave it away.

None of the nosebleeds lasted very long, his platelets were down to 66k in late January so not bad. If they last longer, or become more frequent, I will buy another one (or look into the spray or vaseline). I really appreciate feedback, it's comforting for me to be able to bounce questions off of others in the same situation.

Many thanks!