Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 10:16 AM

London 10K for Anthony Nolan

Last Thursday was my one year anniversary of my bone marrow transplant, and I've been planning a special celebration of my own for about six months now, when I got it into my head that I should run a 10kto mark the occasion.

This morning was the British 10K London Run and even though I've been running around the river for the past 3-4 months to train for this, I had only managed 10km in my last three runs so I was feeling pretty nervous and hoping only to run the whole thing (no walking!) and to maybe finish in under an hour.

I had a fantastic run, and though it was a definite slog at times, the memory of three friends who died last year despite their transplants really kept me going (I wrote David, Vera, and Rob's names on my hand to motivate me. Vera and Rob you should all remember as marrowforums members!). I couldn’t believe it when I saw the clock at the finish line – 54:22!! I know a lot of the other runners made a point to pat me on the back and say "well done" when they saw I was post-transplant, which really helped, too.

You can see more photos (including the names on my hand) in this gallery and if you'd like to donate, my sponsorship page will be open for a while longer.

Thank you again to the many people on here who have encouraged and supported me over the past 18 months, and I hope my race today has inspired others. You really CAN return to health after a transplant.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 01:50 PM

I love the pictures! You just look so healthy and so great! I am happy the race went well. Thanks for updating us on it! Congrats again.

Laura
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 01:55 PM

Just looked at your other pictures. Thanks for sharing. I just can't get over how happy and health you look! Hope you feel as great as you look.
Laura
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 05:51 PM

Wow, you look fantastic. What a wonderful accomplishment and a perfect way to celebrate your 1 year rebirthday. Congratulations! Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 10:54 AM

Melissa,

You make all of us thinking positive.Playing soccer is my favourite sport.My aim is playing football with my friends next year.You give me hope for playing soccer.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 12:50 PM

thanks guys! Believe me, I didn't look quite that happy for the whole race! It was really motivating to get closer and closer to the Anthony Nolan cheering spot and know they and my fiance would be there, so it was a big rush when I passed by.

Here's an example by the official race photographers, when I didn't know anyone was taking my photo, ha!

(oh and Laura, I saw Prof Mufti for my one year checkup yesterday. He said some one year tests are scheduled, but I don't know what exactly until the appointment letters come in the post so I'll let you know as I do)

Edit: oh yeah, and you can see by the photo that my official chip time was actually a bit faster than the readout on the finish line clock. woop!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg officialrace.jpg (39.7 KB, 1 views)
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)

Last edited by squirrellypoo : Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: finish time
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 PM

Melissa

What an inspiration you are to everyone contemplating a BMT or people who have recently undertaken a similar path.

Best of luck with your wedding and in the coming years, although we are in the US my sister lives in Wargrave, maybe our paths will cross in the future
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2010, 07:59 AM

That is so awesome Melissa... thanks for sharing the pictures.

While my BMT has been put on hold, I know that I can get through when it finally happens!

That is so great. I am very happy for you. And you are an inspiration.

xx Jules
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.