Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:08 PM

Chromosome 7 deletion

Hello everyone! I have just returned from Indianapolis and want to thank the Foundation for giving us great information at the conference and this tool for more specific questions. I am very new to all of this.
My husband (61 and generally in excellent health) was diagnosed with MDS last October (2008). He has only refractory anemia but with long arm deletion of chromosome 7. His general numbers are good, but declining slowly. Can anyone tell me the difference between monosomy 7 and long arm deletion of 7 (7q- I think) and what relevance they have for his diagnosis? Thank you.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Welcome, bipartisan.

It was a great conference, wasn't it? Glad you've joined us here at Marrowforums.

Monosomy 7 refers to the condition in which the patient is missing one of the two copies of chromosome 7 that should normally be present. Long arm deletion of chromosome 7 (also called -7q or 7q-) is the condition in which part of chromosome 7 is missing. Chromosome 7 abnormalities are generally associated with a less optimistic prognosis, but it is important to remember than no two MDS patients are alike and this is not the only factor that matters.

You should certainly discuss the implications with your doctor. Please let us know what you learn.

Regards,
Ruth
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks, Ruth. The information at the conference spurred us on to take a closer look at everything. Sort of a shock after living for a while in denial. But after the shock wears off, we will be fortunate enough to have excellent and up-to-date information remaining. MDS 101 explained some things that we knew, but in a more coherent way. The other lectures built on MDS 101. We hope that our clearer understanding of the disease will help us understand and discuss treatment approaches with the doctor. It certainly helped us to know that there are treatment approaches out there.