Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:57 AM

A small development with dad after his fall last Friday. The hospice aide noticed that he las a large-ish (3"-4") swelling on his hip, I guess where he fell. It doesn't cause him pain.

The question is what to do about it - or not? Wondering if there were any thoughts or opinions? I keep thinking about if the low platelets (25) are a risk and wonder if there's slow bleeding in the area. Would it lead to a hematoma?

Hospice says it's "up to me" whether or not to have it seen, which means going to the ER (always a stressful). His regular GP is closed on Friday and I already know he would refer us to the ER.

Any thoughts or similar experiences with a fall?

Thanks in advance .... as always!
Old Fri Dec 9, 2011, 12:39 PM

Fall

Hi Pinebluff,
If I had had a fall and got a swelling on my hip, where I fell, I would go to the ER to get an X-ray even if I was weak.

It is important to know if there is a fracture even if they perhaps hesitate to operate due to the low platelets. Your dad (or really the staff) will get instructions about how to try to avoid more damage when they take care of him.

If it a growing hematoma he could receive patelet txs that perhaps will stop the bleeding.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 10:43 PM

That was excellent advice, Brigitta. Must remember not to leave anything to chance with this condition. We got the scan which showed no fracture and were told to keep an eye on the swelling and apply heat.

The doctor said that the WBC and risk of infection was probably dad's biggest risk with his health.

Thanks!
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:19 AM

WBCs

Hi Pinebluff,
Good that your dad didn't have a fracture!

It is true that infections due to low WBCs are dangerous for us. I have been so afraid of infections since neutropenic fever (almost sepsis) 2007 that I live like I am neutropenic (have too low neutrophils - a kind of WBCs). I avoid crowds and infected people, only eat boiled food and fruits that I have peeled myself etc.
Birgitta-A
72 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 2006. Neupogen 2 inj/week Sept 2007 - July 2011 when I tried 1 inj/week until Nov 2011 when I stopped taking Neupogen since my WBCs now are normal. Good result with Thalidomide since June 2010.