Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:40 PM

neuprogen question

Hi,

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I'm waiting for an answer from my Mom's Dr., but in the meantime, I thought I should try here.

My Mom has MDS and is on a clinical trial (Onconova). Her WBC have been low for over a year, in the range of 1.4 - 1.8. Back in December 2010 her Dr. told me that he didn't want to give her neuprogen because he felt that it can bring on leukemia. But last week he decided to put her on a neuprogen program, where she get a shot every couple of days. Why is the fear of bringing on leukemia not an issue anymore???? I'm so confused.

She was brought to the hospital last week because she had a fever of 100, w/ severe shakes. This was due to an UTI. They gave her antibiotic an within hours she felt better and the fever never returned. I don't think that this would warrant neuprogen.

Just would like some input on the drug and it's affects to leukemia.

Thank you.

Paula
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 04:38 AM

Neupogen and AML

Hi Paula,
Good that your mother got effective treatment for the UTI! You know the latest reports about Neupogen (G-CSF) and AML have showed that Neupogen doesn't increase the risk for AML:
http://www.abstractserver.com/mds201...k7nston62kni20

I have been taking Neupogen 2 inj/week since Neutropenic fever Sept 2007. June 2010 when I had been taking Thalidomide one year I tried to take only one Neupogen inj/week and my WBCs have been stable around 5.0 one week after the injection. Now I will try to stop Neupogen and hope my WBCs will continue to be in the normal range.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 11:46 AM

Hi Birgitta,

Thank you so much for this information. I feel so much better now. I seem to question everything lately. Things change so much so fast with MDS.

Best Regards,
Paula
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 02:09 PM

Neupogen

Hi Paula,
Yes, we can never feel safe except if we belong to the lucky people who got a SCT without chronic GVHD.

When I read my own post I now see that I mixed up the years. It was in June 2011 I started with one Neupogen injection/week.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 08:49 PM

Brigitta,

My Mom went to the Dr. for blood work to see what her levels are. She had neuprogen yesterday and her wbc were 15. Is that a good number or a dangerous number? I know that it's high because of the injection. Her blood is holding strong in the 9's since the Dr. put her on Amacar to help clot the blood.

Thanks,
Paula
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 04:42 AM

Neupogen

Hi Paula,
After a Neupogen injection the WBCs often increase very much - mine have been as high as 18.0. The WBCs live only a few hours so they will decrease and after some days they will reach the normal range. Hopefully your mother will manage with one or two Neupogen injections/week.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 08:49 AM

Thank you Brigitta!