Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Apr 7, 2018, 11:58 AM

Angry trisomy 8 with del5q blast 5-8%

does anyone have del5q with trisomy 8 my research is not too clear on what the trisomy 8 is or what it does with the del5q.

Boy this MDS needs to be looked at more.

any info would help or websites that explain in more detail on how to read a BMB would be nice..

Thanks
terry
Wife diagnosed 2mths ago MDS with del5q, She is now on Revlimid 1st treatment, her RBC was 2.4 was 3.1 before. i am here for support and information to help my wife she is not handling all this very well.
Old Sat Apr 7, 2018, 08:58 PM

Hi MDS2018.
My husband started out with Trisomy 8 and Deletion 5. These abnormalities can come and go. His Trisomy 8 has done that several times. Last biopsy both abnormalities were gone. His is a long story starting in 2008. My memory won't allow me to tell you everything about it but the bottom line is that he was the first MDS patient at The NIH to take Promacta and is going on his 7th year of remission - no MDS meds since 2012. He is going on 73. It's a story that gives hope if you want to take the time to find it on Marrowforums.
But the main reason I want to answer you is that I copied the following off of a post on Marrowforums in 2013. I wish I could remember who wrote it as I would like to give credit. I hope this helps explain some of this.
All the best,
Sally

Cytogenetics from my personal experience:

I was extremely confused when I received my first cytogenetic report. I understood that I had "complex cytogenetics" meaning multiple chromosome abnormalities and that this was very bad news. After a lot of reading, this is my basic understanding of the notations in the report. Notations vary slightly from lab to lab. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this info. I have no medical expertise and don't want to give out misinformation.

Cytogenetics, for our purposes, is the study of chromosomes and their structure. We are not talking about inheritance and genetics. Each of our cells has 23 pairs of chromosomes or a total of 46. The term "karyotype" means the arrangement and structure of the chromosomes. If one has no chromosome abnormalities, it will be designated 46,XX for a female or 46,XY for a male.

The pairs of chromosomes are labeled 1 through 23, and each individual chromosome has two arms, the top or short arm is labeled "p" and and the bottom or long arm is labeled "q". Each arm has numerically labeled regions.

In damaged chromosomes, anomalies or defects are generally classified as deletions, additions, translocations or inversions.

Deletions:If an entire chromosome is missing, it is designated monosomy, such as "monosomy 7" or "-7"; If only part of a chromosome is missing it is designated del( ). For example a deletion of the entire q arm of chromosome 5 might be notated "del(5q)" or "-5q"; if only part of an arm is missing, there will be an additional notation showing which region, for example "del(5q21:33)" or "del(5)(q21)".

Additions: Sometimes there is an extra copy of a chromosome, called trisomy, such as "trisomy 8" or "tri(8)" or "+8". Sometimes instead of a copy, there is an addition of unknown origin, designated "marker" such as "mar(unknown)" or "+mar".

Inversions: Sometimes the arms of a chromosome are partially or completely inverted - all or part of the p arm is swapped with all or part of the q arm on the same chromosome. This is noted something like "inv(4)(p13q22)" to show which regions are swapped.

Translocations: Sometimes part of a chromosome gets swapped with or added to part of a different chromosome. This is noted something like "t(9;22)(q34;q11.2)" meaning part of chromosome 9 (region q34) is swapped with part of chromosome 22 (region q11.2).

Going back to my own report as a full example, here is what it showed:

46,XX,-3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar[14]/46,XX[6]

My sample size was 20 cells. Of these [14] were abnormal with multiple anomalies and [6] had no defects.

46,XX = each cell had 46 chromosomes, all female

-3 = monosomy 3 = one of the chromosomes in pair number 3 was completely missing

del(5)(q14q33) = region 14-33 of the long arm q of one of my chromosomes in pair number 5 was deleted. This is common in MDS. If it had been the only anomaly, my prognosis would have been good but combined with my other anomalies, it wasn't.

-6 = monosomy 6 = one of the chromosomes in pair number 6 was completely missing

+8 = trisomy 8 = I had an extra copy of one of the chromosomes in pair number 8. This may be associated with AML.

+mar = I had some extra chromosome material of unknown type and origin. Sometimes the material can be identified and offers clues to prognosis or origin. Mine did not.

After 3 cycles of Vidaza, I had the same abnormalities but only in 1 of the 20 cells sampled in my biopsy, so the report looked like this:
46,XX,-3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar[1]/46,XX[19]

I'm happy to say that I've had 4 bone marrow biopsies since November 2010, all with cytogenetics reported as 46,XX[20], i.e. no abnormalities.

Last edited by Sally C : Sat Apr 7, 2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 07:19 AM

thanks for the info this will be very helpful in talking to my wifes dr. today.

This all is very new to me and scary as well.

hope to get some more info from dr and have him explain a few things that he has not been explaining in dr visits.

Thanks
Terry
Wife diagnosed 2mths ago MDS with del5q, She is now on Revlimid 1st treatment, her RBC was 2.4 was 3.1 before. i am here for support and information to help my wife she is not handling all this very well.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 03:11 AM

Good luck to your wife Terry. I had trisomy 6, but after transplant its gone! Pretty amazing.
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!