Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:54 PM

mds from radiation

They do not know what causes MDS . They think it might be exposure to Benzine or radiation treatments. Or maybe something in your genes.
I have a question. How many of you males have had prostate cancer and were treated with external radiation or radiation seed implants? I think it is something to think about.
My husband's MDS has advanced into AML.
He had prostate cancer in 1999. He was treated with radiation seed implants and it went in remission. It has been in remission to date.
In 2004 he was diagnosed with MDS.
Any comments?
Len Dorazio
Old Sat Nov 3, 2007, 09:45 PM

My mother has mds from radiation from cervical cancer. She had the radidation 10 years ago and now she has this. She has blood transfusions every two months and 2 shots 1 a week.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:33 AM

Hi, I just found your thread. It's very interesting. I used to work as an assistant in a medical imaging department about 20-22 years ago. I used to give the isotope injections to the clients so they could have their scans. I was not provided with any protection from the radiation and didn't have any radiation counter. I have mentioned this to a couple of haematologists and they said that this might have been a contributing factor but that it was only conjecture and there was no way of proving the link. My own opinion is that I already had the potential to acquire this disease and the exposure to the radiation just increased my chances of getting it. Chirley