Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > General Health Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Health Issues Diet and appetite, sleep and fatigue, pain management, exercise, etc.

Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 04:02 PM

New Battlefronts

I first began to have low blood counts almost sixteen years ago. I have had an MDS diagnosis by two of the best facilities in the US. My numbers have changed only slightly over the years and I have been told that I am in the low risk category. No complaints from me on this. Actually no complaints period.

I am looking however to see if other bone marrow patients have had other cancerous diagnoses made. For instance I have had numerous squamus cells removed over the past 12 - 14 yes. I also have had a diagnosis of prostrate cancer that is under active surveillance with periodic PSA tests and biopsies performed. Currently they have discovered a mass in my abdomen which iis either attached to or in the stomach. I will learn shortly as to the diagnosis , if any.

I do exercise almost daily and otherwise have no adverse effects to this point. My query is whether any of you have or are experiencing similar instances of cancer struking in additional areas
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 05:53 PM

There are many cases of secondary cancers popping up in MDS patients, but it is usually documented in patients who have undergone treatment for MDS, specifically for stem cell transplant long-term survivors.

If you have had lower white blood cell counts, it is quite possible that other cancers would have more opportunity to take hold as your immune system is not functioning at full capacity to prevent cancers from growing and spreading.

I had MDS for about 4 years before my stem-cell transplant and didn't experience any additional cancers, but since transplant I have been fighting a good number of pre-cancerous growths on my arms, neck, head, and face.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.