Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > News and Events
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News and Events News related to bone marrow failure diseases

Old Fri Jul 2, 2010, 09:11 AM

Anthony Nolan Trust finds new donors by spit!

I've heard about this spit trial for a while, but now the Anthony Nolan Trust (the UK's bone marrow charity) are collecting samples from potential donors by a simple spit test. The process is now entirely done by post, so people don't have to take time off work to get blood drawn at the GP's surgery, so this is great news!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10394111.stm

I'm running a 10k race next Sunday for Anthony Nolan (see the link in my signature if you'd like to donate) and I just got my race jersey yesterday. I'm so proud to be able to paint "one year post transplant" on my back!!

Maybe I should spit all along the route to raise awareness.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Fri Jul 2, 2010, 12:02 PM

Wow, that is great.

In the U.S. you just use a swab and swab your cheek and mail that in to get your DNA sample.

GOod luck with the race and I think you should spit along the race

Laura
Old Fri Jul 2, 2010, 12:59 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellypoo View Post
I've heard about this spit trial for a while, but now the Anthony Nolan Trust (the UK's bone marrow charity) are collecting samples from potential donors by a simple spit test. The process is now entirely done by post, so people don't have to take time off work to get blood drawn at the GP's surgery, so this is great news!
That certainly is a great idea. By making it so easy and convenient they'll encourage more people to join.

Handy links:Americans can do the equivalent by ordering a cheek swab kit from the National Marrow Donor Program.