Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 02:39 AM

Marrow issues found in MRI trying to understand please help!

I have searched everywhere and can't come up with anything I can understand, I accidentally came across this board but I believe if anyone can help me understand this stuff it would come from here.
I had MRI's for unrelated issues and was told I needed to have a CT scan and have been referred to a hematologist just to be sure its not anything.
My Neuro-surgeon is not the most talkative in the world and I really didn't get a chance to ask questions I was prepared to ask let alone think this over and ask about this.
I did have a CBC and a lot of other blood work in Jan. (because of peripheral neuropathy) and it was normal overall and brought up no red flags for anemia or any kind of blood issues (don't know if that can change that quickly) so this was a surprise to me.

Can anyone please explain this at my level?

what does nonspecific decreased T1 signal intensity within marrow containing elements of the cervical spine ( also in the lumbar)
and nonspecific mild T2 prolongation in the C4 vertebral body centrally mean? and are they tied together or a separate issue?

Thanks for any help!
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 10:23 PM

Hi, I can't answer your question except to say that when I have MRIs for neuro damage it always mentions that I have empty marrow due to my bone marrow failure.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 04:20 PM

Hi, Chirley, and thank you for your reply. Can I ask you when you found out about your marrow failure? have you heard of it showing up like that and it just being a normal thing?
I have forgotten that when I was younger and up until a few years ago I had been around people smoking constantly, would that attribute to that showing up like that or is it more likely that it contributed (possibly) to what ever the cause of it?
So if I were a smoker would the result be normal?
just wondering because it said "Consider response to anemia/red marrow expansion, smoking if applicable to this patient, less likely other marrow infiltrative conditions. CBC correlation recommended."
I'm sorry for just bombarding you with questions just a lot bouncing around in my head and I really do appreciate you taking the time to even speak thank you very much for that!
It's really nice to meet you, hope your having a great day!
charles
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 08:26 PM

Hi, I really don't know the significance of the scan findings. In my case I've had bone marrow failure since 2003. At first I was told it was iron deficiency, then iron deficiency with other marrow abnormalities, then BMB showed MDS. I had 5 cycles of Vidaza (chemo) and the MDS was worsening when I developed neuro problems. Further investigation revealed copper deficiency which is known to cause bone marrow failure.

The MRIs all show empty marrow which (I assume) is caused by having a low marrow cellularity.

If my low cellularity shows on scans I assume that this MIGHT be what's showing on your scan. Some people have low cellularity without any disease process or symptoms, I think it can be a variation of normal.

Please don't take what I'm saying as having any substance behind it, it's just what I THINK might be the cause in my case.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Thu Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 AM

I'm not really sure whether mine is saying I have too much or too little I hate that I can't think of what to ask the Dr. when I'm there and then can't find it. Or when I am trying to ask and they keep heading for the door.. I have an appointment mon. for the hematologist maybe she can clear some of it up. If they don't find anything in the blood do they just say its ok or am I going to have to go through more testing? Can I ask for another full body mri or something other than a bmb?
Old Thu Jul 19, 2012, 04:23 PM

Charles, we certainly know the frustration of not having questions answered until the next doctor's appointment. We have found it is much less stressful on us and the doctor to write down a list of questions beforehand, and give it to the doctor when we get to the appointment. That way, we don't forget our questions while discussing another issue.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.