Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Jul 3, 2015, 01:30 PM

BMT vs Stem Cell treatments

My brother, 66, was recently diagnosed with MDS, 13% Blasts (RAEB 2)?
He has started chemo with Dacogen. He has a 10/10 match with my sister -- but we're hoping he could get years with the chemo vs a very dangerous procedure of BMT.
A friend suggested that Stem Cell Treatments would be a better alternative than a BMT. Can any of you add to this -- your advice, your knowledge, your experiences. Thank you so much. Pat
Old Fri Jul 3, 2015, 05:09 PM

I am sorry for the diagnosis, it can be a real shocker. The odds of getting "years" with the Dacogen are not good. I had a very similar diagnosis. I got 8 cycles of Vidaza (similar to Dacogen) and then had a stem cell transplant.

The problem with the Dacogen or Vidaza is that they might work until they don't. That might be six months or a year, or two, no one can tell. Perhaps a little longer but the odds get pretty steep. The only chance for a "cure" is the stem cell transplant. He would most likely not get a bone marrow transplant. A bone marrow transplant is only used in certain situations and much more difficult for the donor.

How is his health otherwise?
Old Fri Jul 3, 2015, 05:21 PM

This site does a good job of explaining the difference. Both involve stem cells. The difference is whether the cells come from blood or marrow. The doctor usually chooses so you don't get the choice. SCT is more common. I had SCT a year ago and survived and am doing pretty good.

Ray

http://consumer.healthday.com/circul...ts-669768.html
Old Sat Jul 4, 2015, 07:47 AM

His health is good. Thank you so much for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
I am sorry for the diagnosis, it can be a real shocker. The odds of getting "years" with the Dacogen are not good. I had a very similar diagnosis. I got 8 cycles of Vidaza (similar to Dacogen) and then had a stem cell transplant.

The problem with the Dacogen or Vidaza is that they might work until they don't. That might be six months or a year, or two, no one can tell. Perhaps a little longer but the odds get pretty steep. The only chance for a "cure" is the stem cell transplant. He would most likely not get a bone marrow transplant. A bone marrow transplant is only used in certain situations and much more difficult for the donor.

How is his health otherwise?