Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Mon Nov 8, 2010, 08:08 PM

Macrobiotic Diet

Hello
I have been involved in macrobiotics since March, after a 2-1/2 month hospital stay--induction chemotherapy 7 days, followed by 107 fever, ventilator, life support, organ failure, tracheostomy, feeding tube, jaundice and complete muscle wasting...did I mention the 3 week medical coma and 2 sepsis infections? I was unconscious through most of last December...
Needless to say, the fact that I'm even sitting here writing this is a miracle.

I developed allergies to penicillin and other antibiotics and was loaded with chemicals from Nov 17, 2009 to Feb 2010. Hospital food is flat out unhealthy and loaded with sugar, fat and salt. I needed some way to cleanse my system, and learned about the macrobiotic diet. Based on an Asian style of eating, it's quite involved compared to today's fast food lifestyle, but I have seen amazing results from eliminating:
caffeine, sugar, meat, dairy, processed foods and eating organic as much as possible. Whole grains, specific fresh veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, oils and the addition of simple soy foods and sea vegetables is also encouraged. Occasional white fish is ok. Fruits very limited, even discouraged. Eating clean is the goal. Everything I have read point to 3 things: Cancer feeds on Sugar; Cancer grows in an Acid environment; Chemicals and additives/hormones,herbicides and pesticides cause cancer. It takes some reading to learn and get the hang of it, and it is a time commitment, but your diet is one thing you can control in this crazy disease process. AND IT CAN'T HURT! Good food can only help you, and we have forgotten that in today's world. Any although more expensive, organic food TASTES much better!
It cured my hypogycemia from when I was a teenager! It's great for diabetics and heart patients too!

It may not cure my MDS, but I feel better and the inflammation, the dizziness I had, is gone. I also had a much better allergy season than ever. And I believe it has put my body in ultimate nutritional fighting shape. Many of the supplements I was on, are not allowed during chemo...I was on a supplement regime for 6 months with no success regarding the onset of MDS, after my 2009 AML diagnosis. So, while I have loosened up a little bit, I would say I follow the diet 90-95% as time and treament allows. It feels good to eat well.
There is lots of info on the internet and Whole Foods and Trader Joes are great sources of good food.....check it out!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Tue Nov 9, 2010, 12:56 AM

Thank you for posting this.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.