Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:40 PM

Smile 5 months after transplant

Hello

wanted to give an update on my condition. I haven't posted since July because I got progressively sicker as my bone marrow shut down.

I was admitted to the hospital in late September and had the transplant Oct. 11, 2013. Thanksgiving weekend! I had a lot to be thankful for.

I have had a great deal of trouble with nausea and vomiting. It was finally getting better in January when I had a gallbladder attack. I spent two weeks in the hospital since they found that I had pneumonia and a urinary tract infection. I spent another night in emergency and last week was released after another week in the hospital. I am having trouble with eating again. In any case, I should have the gallbladder removed soon.

I am still on Prograf (tacrolimus) and hope to be weaned off it soon.

It is a long haul for me and I don't have much strength or endurance. I am eagerly awaiting spring!

Bye for now.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 12:15 AM
Owner

Michelle,

I'm glad you posted and glad to know you made it through the transplant, even though you had a hard time. I hope you can stay out of the hospital now.

Do they think the gallbladder attack was related to the transplant?
Old Tue Apr 1, 2014, 09:49 AM

Gall bladder

Hi

Thanks for the good wishes

I have not been directly told that it was related to the transplant but was told it is not unusual. Many things seem to happen after a transplant.

My sense of taste is still altered. I don't always like foods I used to. I was also hyper sensitive to sweet foods. I couldn't stand them - not that I was much of a sweets lover before. I couldn't eat dairy products for a couple of months. They caused spontaneous vomiting, which I already had when I took some of my medications. I suspect that some of my vomiting was caused by the gall bladder - a preview, so to speak, of things to come.

It is so frustrating because I just stùrted to eat normally again when the gall bladder attacked me.

It turns out that even minor, ordinary illnesses can be life-threatening. I didn't go to the hospital after the last attack. I just took the medication prescribed. I felt tired and dizzy but thought it was the medication. When I arrived for my regular check-up with my oncologist, she was not happy with my blood work and blood pressure. It turns out that my kidneys were failing and my blood pressure was 80/40. No wonder I was tired!

They can't operate until the inflammation goes away. If I have another attack, I have to go to emergency. I always have to go to the emergency at the hospital in Montreal because of the transplant and it is an hour away. Then I spend a few days in emergency in a private room (what luxury!) on a gurney until a room becomes available - not good for the back.

Here is my understanding of the sequence of events. The gall bladder attack began on Wednesday. I began to get dehydrated because the body was trying to fight the infection. It didn't matter how much I drank because this is how the body deals with these sorts of things. Then my BP began to drop. The two things led to my kidneys shutting down.

Who knew a gall bladder attack could kill you?

In any case, I am very fortunate because Maisonneuve-Rosemont is a world-class transplant hospital. I am getting the best care. I am just sick of being sick, however, it is better than the alternative. Spring is coming and that cheers me up.

Have a great day!