Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Mon Jul 7, 2014, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up Happy 2nd 2nd Birthday To Me ;0)

July 3, 2014, was my 2nd 2nd birthday. I probably won’t receive a card, email, or call from anyone. Isn’t that wonderful!!? I’ve resumed such a healthy lifestyle that we have all forgotten that 2 years ago today I was a bald bombshell hooked up to a bag of tomato-soup-looking stem cells trying to stay alive!

I can’t say that I don’t ever think about it or worry that the nightmare might return. Any form of cancer comes with that bonus. And I can’t say that it wasn’t life changing. But it does seem to be fading into the distance. In many ways, I’m back to being my old carefree (careless?) self. The old adage about what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger is total baloney. What doesn’t kill you, you eventually repress. Your strength is all used up getting through it.

Statistically, the 2-year mark is an important one for me. No relapse and very few issues with graft-vs.-host disease. I’m almost perfect again. The 3-year mark is even more significant, and I’m on my way…

Happy birthday to me,

Happy birthday to me,

I’m counting my blessings,

Happy birthday to me!

Thank you all for the loving support and prayers that brought me to this point. Also, sending a "shout out" to all the doctors and staff at the Medical University of South Carolina, who navigated my course to safety, when it seemed no safe haven was on the horizon. Last, but certainly not least, much love to my sister who saved my life.

I’ve come a long way, baby…
Sherry Baby 62 Diagnosed 2/11/12 MDS to AML-6; del 20q and trisomy 21; Vidaza 3 month trial unsuccessful; ALLO BMT 7/2/12; Sister Donor 10/10 match; Chronic GVHD mucous membranes, otherwise all's well :0)
Old Mon Jul 7, 2014, 08:48 AM

Happy 2nd birthday to you indeed!
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Mon Jul 7, 2014, 11:40 AM

Happy second birthday.

Blair
Old Mon Jul 7, 2014, 11:41 AM

Happy 2nd Birthday to you. I had my 1st 2nd Birthday last month.
Old Tue Jul 8, 2014, 10:26 AM

Smile Happy Birthday

So happy to see you celebrating your 2nd Birthday!
Old Tue Jul 8, 2014, 12:37 PM

vickij,

congratulations!!!!

May we be celebrating your 20th, 30th, 40th, etc....

All the Best, and may God Bless...
David
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 01:31 PM

Talking Misery Loves (Needs!) Company

Thank you all for your kind responses. I live in an adult community where many people are dealing with significant health issues. We all try to avoid medical talk because it can go on for hours! It's nice to visit the forum and chat with people who share the same problems and don't ever get tired of supporting the folks who visit here. Keep up the good fight…

Sherry Baby 62 Diagnosed 2/11/12 MDS to AML-6; del 20q and trisomy 21; Vidaza 3 month trial unsuccessful; ALLO BMT 7/2/12; Sister Donor 10/10 match; Chronic GVHD mucous membranes, otherwise all's well :0)