Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Thu Jun 15, 2017, 06:43 AM

Chronic anemia

Hi im chris and i have had chronic anemia for over 2 years originally thought it was caused by my b12 def. But been on injections for over 18 months and counts have been worse.
Rbc varies between 3.3 - 3.7 mcv 105 -112. Recently platlets droped to 125 now hovering 150, wbc droped to 3.2 now poped back too 4.7.
Had bone marrow biopsy in may and hemotoligist has said that i have hypocellular marrow for my age 46. And there are sighns that my cell lines are not maturing properly.
She continued to say this was ware and tear of my marrow.
Is this correct can there just be ware and tear or do you think she is stalling for the cytoligy results to come back.
Sorry for rambling but had so many tests over last two years
Just feeling so stressed at the moment.
Many thanks chris
Old Thu Jun 15, 2017, 09:33 AM
Owner

Chris,

I'm sorry the first-line treatment didn't work. The initial assumption about the cause was apparently incorrect.

I don't think your hematologist knows what's happening to your bone marrow, and that you both need the bone marrow biopsy lab report before you can get to a diagnosis.

I suggest that you ask for a copy if that lab report, once it's available, and ask to have it explained to you at the next appointment.
Old Sat Jun 17, 2017, 10:07 AM

If your current doctor thinks that bone marrow failure is the source of your low blood counts, you should probably be transferred to the care of a hematologist who specializes in bone marrow failure. These are rare diseases, and many hematologists (even at larger suburban hospitals) never see a case and have very little information about how to manage it.

Once my hematologist at the local hospital suspected that I had Aplastic Anemia, I was transferred to a teaching hospital immediately. It has made all the difference!

Good luck with getting this sorted out!
Old Sat Jun 17, 2017, 03:21 PM

This doesn't seem to fit exactly, but have your doctor check for Pure Red Cell Aplasia. This is very rare and often overlooked by the pathologists.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/