Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Wed May 5, 2010, 01:14 AM

High leukocytes and monocytes

My Husband had to postpone his Vidaza treatment due to low platelets. The doctor started treatments again even though his platelets were still low. Latest blood test shows improvement in platelets. His current problem now is high white cells and high monocytes. Any thoughts regarding this situation would be appreciated. This syndrome is so confusing and it seems like one can't just relax because things are so uncertain. Guess wanted to know anyones thoughts on this new situation. Thanks for any help or information that you can provide. Sincerely, Rose

Last edited by rose mcmillin : Thu May 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old Wed May 5, 2010, 06:02 AM

Leucocytes and monocytes?

Hi Rose,
Good with increased platelets !

Do you know your Husband's leukocyte count and monocyte count? Have they looked at his peripheral blood blast count? All patients with diseases like MDS have a little blast cells in blood but you ought to know if they have increased.

It is true that MDS is a confusing disease - even experts are often lost when they should decide about treatment.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
71 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 May 2006, transfusion dependent from dx, Desferal and Exjade for iron overload, Neupogen 2 injections/week for low WBCs, asymptomatic
Old Thu May 6, 2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitta-A View Post
Hi Rose,
Good with increased platelets !

Do you know your Husband's leukocyte count and monocyte count? Have they looked at his peripheral blood blast count? All patients with diseases like MDS have a little blast cells in blood but you ought to know if they have increased.

It is true that MDS is a confusing disease - even experts are often lost when they should decide about treatment.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
71 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 May 2006, transfusion dependent from dx, Desferal and Exjade for iron overload, Neupogen 2 injections/week for low WBCs, asymptomatic
Thank you Birgitta, You are always so helpful. My husbands leukocytes count is 19.2 , Mono%22.8 , mono #4.3 anc 12.0 We are having a peripheral blood slide next week. So I don't know if his blast increased until then. His platelets are 74 up from 24 last week. So grateful for that. Hope that this email finds you well. Thanks again for your contributions to this site. Rose
Old Fri May 7, 2010, 05:21 AM

Leukocytosos and monocytosis

Hi Rose,
Thank you for the kind words. I still feel fine 4 years after dx but my bone marrow is very fibrotic and I have to get blood transfusions once a week now.

Actually a WBC count of 19.2 is not very high - more than 20.0 or sometimes 25.0 is considered very high. The monocytes (normal count 4 - 10%) are very high but I don't think a single value is so alarming. The counts can go up or down and we don't know why.

Very good that the platelets now have increased to 74 - your Husband can continue with Vidaza .
Kind regards
Birgitta-A