Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Sun Sep 2, 2007, 07:09 PM

Holistic treatment of MDS

Does anyone have any experience with the holistic treatment of MDS? Is there a special diet or paticular supliment(s) that help with MDS. Any holistic Drs that treat MDS succesfully? Right now all you hear are drugs for the treatment of MDS.
Old Sun Sep 2, 2007, 08:44 PM

Dr. Raza did some studies on COQ10 and curcumin. I did them for a while but my hgb started diving. I don't know if it was a coincidence or caused by the curcumin. Although Revlimid also causes counts to drop initially. Maybe I will try the curcumin route again when the Aranesp stops working before trying Revlimid. I found protocols for it somewhere. I will try to track them down again.

Zoe
Old Mon Sep 3, 2007, 10:36 AM

Bruce at Aplastic Central has been doing a combo of things for MDS. You can read his blog and journal. I think he's been having some success with chinese herbs. His site is http://www.aplasticcentral.com/

Marlene
Old Mon Sep 3, 2007, 05:14 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
Bruce at Aplastic Central has been doing a combo of things for MDS.
I think it's for AA, not MDS, in Bruce's case.
Old Tue Sep 4, 2007, 09:58 AM

No, Bruce has progressed to MDS....M
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 12:21 PM

When I first started Revlimid in April, at 10 mg, my counts dropped so much I had to be hospitalized. In June, I started back up on the Revlimid at a lower dosage; 5mg. Prior to that, in May, I started taking shark liver oil capsules, as a supplement. Someone else on this site was taking it, and they were getting fewer transfusions. I have been transfusion free since May 16th of this year. Whether it is the shark liver oil, the lower dose revlimid, or the prayers of many being answered, I do not know, but I am still taking the SLO and my hgb is still climbing. My last blood draw had me at 9.9 hgb, wbc - 2.9, platelets at 125, and neutrophils at 700. For me, these counts are great, and I feel pretty good.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:38 PM

What a wonderful blog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
Bruce at Aplastic Central has been doing a combo of things for MDS. You can read his blog and journal. I think he's been having some success with chinese herbs. His site is http://www.aplasticcentral.com/

Marlene
Thank you, Bruce, for that truly wonderful blog! It was a lot of work and very valuable!
Old Wed Oct 3, 2007, 12:18 PM

vegetable juicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorrico View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the holistic treatment of MDS? Is there a special diet or paticular supliment(s) that help with MDS. Any holistic Drs that treat MDS succesfully? Right now all you hear are drugs for the treatment of MDS.
Dr Raza recommends daily juicing with green vegetables (organic) because it contains many micronutrients
Old Sat Nov 3, 2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie s View Post
Dr Raza recommends daily juicing with green vegetables (organic) because it contains many micronutrients
Who is Dr. Raza? My mother has mds.
Old Sat Nov 3, 2007, 11:36 PM

Vivvi,

Welcome.

What type of MDS does your mother have?

Here is what I found on Dr. Raza for reading. I learned about her from the U of Mass web site.

http://www.doctorndtv.com/profile/pr...sp?alias=araza

http://www.umassmed.edu/hema_oncology/pstatement.aspx

This is old, but gives you some info. Since this was written, her husband has died of cancer and I have read that she is currently at St. Vincents in NY. I am particularly interested in her studies of ginerol and curcumin for MDS.

Zoe
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 01:57 PM

Red face Tom M

I was on 10mg Rev. for about a month and lost my gallbladder. Taken off Rev. and back on 5mg Jan. No tx for 9 months, counts dropped, back on tx every 3wks. Has anyone heard of doc. in Germany using Rev. 3 mo. on, 1 off with success?