Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
Wherenext Wherenext is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hesperus, CO
Posts: 7
Post BMB help needed

My 80 year old mothers doctor was real strange last week, he couldn't remember that mom had a BMB the month before, claims to have not yet seen results, said it looked good then said no he has concerns as BMB was dilute of bone marrow aspirate and touch preps. Said it precludes adequate cytologic evaluation. Bone marrow is hyper cellular 65-75% with relative erythroid hyperplasia and mild megakaryocytic hyperplasia. Prominent dysmegakaryopoiesis is observed. CD 34 shows less than 3% nucleated cells consisting of blasts. CD3 shows positive staining 15% nucleated cells concistent with small T lymphocytes. CD20 positive staining less than 5%.
Mild increase in reticulum deposition.

Two unrelated cell lines in multiple cultures. One cell line showed extra copy of chromosomes 8 in 60% cells. The remaining 40% showed translocation between chromosomes 2-3

Trisomy 8 was observed in previous study, translocation between chromosomes 2-3 represents a new colony. The presence of two independent cell populations may suggest two independent hematologist conditions.

Should we insist that they do another BMB? Should we seek another opinion? Or does it look like it has progressed to a point that we just need to make sure she is comfortable and live whatever life she has left in a quality way and not living in a doctors office????

Any help would be appreciated. I have looked up all the individual words but the doctor said that he needed to check with pathologist and that individual words don't explain the whole picture. It was then he told mom further treatment was her option that she seems to hold her own just be careful of infection.
Reply With Quote
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
Birgitta-A Birgitta-A is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,918

Hi Wherenext,
It is not OK that your mother's doctor can't remember that your mother had a BMB one month before. When they look at the chromosomes the answer will take a few weeks.

If I was your mother I should not want to have contact with a doctor who is acting strange - I need to trust my doctor.
Kind regards
Reply With Quote
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 01:20 PM
triumphe64 triumphe64 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 439

Good advice. Good doctors are the key with these illnesses.
Dallas, Texas - Age 76 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Reply With Quote
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 01:55 PM
Wherenext Wherenext is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hesperus, CO
Posts: 7

Thanks for the responses. I agree and would change doctors in an instant. He knows I feel he is incompetent but by doing lots of research and demanding answers he is getting the point. I have fired many a doctor not only for me but my parents as well. My mother doesn't want to change so I am working real hard to get her to at least get a second opinion on treatment. 80 year old stubborn women are hard to change.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bmb #2 results tomorrow. Insight needed please. New here Itchycrystal MDS 4 Fri Dec 23, 2016 08:30 PM
Normal BMB but poor prognosis cytogenetics Scarlett O. Bone Marrow Failure 18 Thu Feb 25, 2016 06:11 AM
When are transfusions needed? Jill2008 Transfusions and Iron Overload 7 Thu Feb 4, 2010 03:51 PM
questions about bmb results mom23 Pediatrics 1 Thu Sep 3, 2009 02:09 AM
Very painful BMB LynnI MDS 16 Fri Oct 3, 2008 08:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forum sites may contain non-authoritative and unverified information.
Medical decisions should be made in consultation with qualified medical professionals.
Site contents exclusive of member posts Copyright 2006-2019 Marrowforums.org